By Lindsay Stenson, Acupuncture Denver Staff
Being pregnant can be such an exciting time but the morning sickness that can come along with it may not have you feeling so excited. Loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting are common pregnancy symptoms making it difficult to cope with everyday tasks. Food aversions and smells can leave you feeling less than optimal so here are some things that may help you cope with the queasiness!
- Keep something in your stomach at all timesâ€”try eating small, frequent meals throughout the day to help curb nausea. Stick with high protein, high carbohydrate foods to help keep blood sugar levels balanced. Try almonds, whole wheat bread or crackers, cereal, and pretzels.
- Keep some food such as crackers next to your bed so that you can get something in your stomach as soon as you wake up.
- Eat what sounds good to you--go for foods that you can tolerate such as bland foods that are easier on your stomach.
- Ginger is known to help with morning sickness. Try ginger tea, ginger ale or high quality ginger candies to ease the stomach.
- Vitamin B-6 supplements have been known to help with nauseaâ€”or some foods that contain vitamin B-6 include fish, nuts and dairy products.
- Acupuncture, acupuncture, acupuncture! Once a week acupuncture sessions have also been known to provide relief for morning sickness.
- Keep away from greasy, fried foods.
- Take your prenatal vitamins with food or try taking them at night before you go to bed.
- Stay well hydratedâ€”drink plenty of water or try drinking sparkling water.